Monday, May 17, 2010

Addendum, two things about CareerBuilder.com

I realize my analysis of the response letter I received from Megan R**** the other day was short and perhaps a little crass. Whatever, see the sandbox clause in the first post. So here is a little more in depth look at what I meant.

Just today I got back on this particular site and wow the scam/work-at-home offers are just rampant. In all fairness to their answer pretty much all of the listings do state that:
NON-TRADITIONAL JOB - This opportunity is not a traditional job opportunity. There may be a required fee or investment of money and time to generate income. It may be a service, education, counseling, or simply information. CareerBuilder is committed to allowing only legitimate opportunities on our site, but we encourage you to investigate each opportunity thoroughly before committing money or time or releasing sensitive personal information. Ultimately, you are responsible for your decisions. Please alert us to any opportunities you have questions about by using the “Report This Job” link present on each job posting.
If you would prefer not to see opportunities like this in the future, then please
That last line is/was a link that presumably let's you turn off these so-called work-from-home listings (scams). As I said before, pretty much any job that requires you to invest or pay up front is BS, not all but most are. Think ponzi schemes. And while it is true that there is ample warning on the actual CB site, there is no such luxury on the actual sites of these con-artists. Plus, I'll restate, my problem is not that most people will fall for this but the fact that some will and do everyday. An interesting question would be "do stupid people deserve to be protected from vipers?" To answer, IMO, well yes, and no. For one thing, if you are dumb enough to fall for these simple scams then you probably won't be too long for this world in the first place; but on the other hand it's pretty easy for this crap to be stopped, filtered, what have you so one would hope that the simple charlatan would be stopped out of general principle. Plus it's just freakin' annoying to have to wade through that.

Secondly, it seems that my daily influx of job postings have slowed way down, and I seem to get a hell of a lot more of what I specifically complained about in my original letter. Is this coincidence? Maybe, and maybe not. I wouldn't put it past some big-corp robot-weasels to put me on some sort of "agitator" list just for making a valid complaint/bringing up needed concerns.

So, farewell (not really), I hope your business tanks CareerBuilder. You were a third rate place to look for work in the first place and now you have just won my undying spurn for all eternity. (Much like, AOL, McDonalds, and MSI.) I win here simply because you will never have my money, my eyeballs, my heart or anything from me ever again. So here is a big kiss-my-ass-mofo from me to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment